The Q&A Archives: When To Plant Acroclinium

Question: I bought some seeds of Acroclinium from Home depot. I tried to find information about it on this web site. Found none.
I want to know whether I can plant it in a container. And can I plant it now?

Answer: Acroclinium is also called Helipterum, a summer flowering annual. Save your seeds for sowing next spring as the plants need several months of warm weather and sunshine in order to bloom. Sow the seeds in late March, just barely covering them with soil. Seedlings will appear in 14-20 days in temperatures of 65F to 75F. Expect your Acroclinium to reach about 12" in height and produce papery, daisy-like blooms all summer. The blooms are everlasting when dried. Space the plants 6" - 8" apart in a sunny site in light, somewhat sandy soil (containers are fine). Watch for aphids, and stake plants to help keep them upright.