The Q&A Archives: Need Source For Pennsylvania Sedge

Question: I have heard that pennsylvania sedge(carex pennsylvanica, I think) is a good grass substitute for the Northeast states. I can't locate a source for the plant, can you help me?

Answer: This is a native plant used more often in reclamation or restoration of natural sites, and to be honest I am not sure you would like the effect in a home landscape setting. As a result, too, it is available primarily in wholesale quantities such as the plants offered by Ernst Conservation Seeds ( ) for example. Sedges as a rule also require a fairly moist soil to do well. You might want to consult with your local UMASS extension for suggestions as to what would be most appropriate and would be likely to grow well in your particular situation.