The Q&A Archives: Locating A Heritage Flower

Question: HELP! I am looking for a type of chrysanthmun-tanecetum parthenium-with tiny snow-white pom-pom flowers. It is about 12-14'' tall. My late grandmother grew them around her house which was in Saskatchewan, Canada. They have no yellow on them. Can you please help me? I want to plant them in her memory. Thank-you

Answer: Chrysanthemum tanacetum is known as Dusty Miller, or Silver Lace, and Chrysanthemum parthenium is commonly known as Feverfew. If the plants had gray foliage, you're looking for Dusty Miller. If they had green foliage, you might want the Feverfew. Both have pom-pom type flowers - and both have yellow flowers, not white. The type of chrysanthemum with white pom-pom flowers would be Chrysantehmum morifolium, or florist's chrysanthemum. Seeds for all three plants are available through Thompson & Morgan, Inc., PO Box 1308, Jackson, NJ 085027-0308. Phone (800) 274-7333. Hope this information helps you find just the right plant!