The Q&A Archives: Bacopa (Snowflake Plant) Care Tips

Question: Martha Stewart mentioned a white flowering trailing plant called bacopa which she uses often in container gardening. I visited a local greenhouse and the leaves of the plant, in a 10 inch hanging basket, were turning brown. They could not tell me the reason for this. I can find no information on the care for this plant, or the botanical name. Thank you. Carol Klun Concord Township, OH

Answer: Bacopa (Sutera cordata) is also called the "Snowflake" plant. It is a relatively new hanging basket plant from California. It is not hardy in the north, but makes a great annual hanging basket in many regions of the country. It likes full sun to part shade, has low spreading dense foliage which makes it good as a ground cover too and has tons of small, white flowers all summer. There is a lavender version called 'Mauve Mist' available also. The brown leaves could be due to over watering or the shock of moving from the greenhouse to your house. I'd pamper it a bit cutting back on watering until new growth appears.