The Q&A Archives: Sticky Stuff On Blooms

Question: I'm house sitting in Stamford CT and have noticed a problem with a clear sticky liquid on many of the blooming flowers. Just as buds start to open the sticky stuff apears and 1/2 the bud gets eaten. The garden seems to be getting distroyed while in my care. Can you tell me what is happening and if there is anything I can do about it?

Answer: Unfortunately, based on your description I am not sure what the problem is. Sticky stuff can be plant juice and this would be released when there is damage such as an insect or animal chewing on a plant. A peculiar frothy looking goo (untechnical maybe but descriptive) might also be from a spittle bug and there are occasionally times when many of these are present. I would suggest you consult about the damage with your county extension in CT to identify the exact cause of the problem and then follow their suggestions for any necessary controls. They should be aware of any localized "epidemics". I'm really sorry I can't be more helpful.