The Q&A Archives: Encouraging Snapdragons to Bloom

Question: My snapdragons are blooming beautifully; each plant has one main stalk. Will they continue blooming, or is this it? Is there anything I can do to encourage them to continue blooming?

Answer: If you remove the flower before the seeds mature, you will encourage the plant to produce more blooms. If you continue this practice, the snapdragons will bloom all summer! (In warm climates they may fizzle out during the heat of summer, but may brighten up once cool weather returns.)

If you allow some of the seeds to mature, they may reseed themselves; however, if you are growing a hybrid snapdragons, the offspring may not resemble the parent. I suggest keeping the plants deadheaded and enjoying as many blooms as possible!