The Q&A Archives: Planting Clematis

Question: I have purchased a "box" of three clematis vines to plant around a gas lamp pole in my front yard. The tilled area is approx. 24" in diameter. How many of these shoots should I plant? How far apart? How deep? And, how much growth should I expect, the first year, to measure success? New Gardener Cleveland, OH

Answer: Plant one of your three clematis around the lamp pole. The first year, you will probably see a small amount of growth as the plant spends most of its energy establishing roots. Don't be tempted to plant any more than the one vine! The following year, the vine will take off and should put on alot of growth eventally requiring you to prune it back! Find other spots for the other two and allow room for future growth. Each will need it's own spot! They climb using twining stems so a wire trellis is best.