The Q&A Archives: Transplanting Iris Tubers

Question: I have some hybrid Iris in my yard and I am going to move to Florida. How can I take tubers from the Iris and keep them fresh for planting in Florida? Sue Lloyd Ellicott City, MD

Answer: If you can, I'd wait until the iris finished blooming to dig and move them to their new home. Cut back the foliage to 6-8" tall "fans", remove the spent flower stalk, dig the rhizomes and place them in damp peat moss in plastic bags. Make sure the peat isn't too wet of they will rot. As soon as you get to Florida, prepare a bed for them and replant. Depending on the iris type and variety, they may or may not do as well in Florida as they did in Maryland due to the heat and humidity. But is you love them, they are worth a try!