The Q&A Archives: Keeping Squirrels at Bay

Question: I have a vegetable garden that is walled on one side by a new wooden fence that divides my yard from my neighbor's yard. My dog does a good job in keeping the squirrels out of the yard. But they now climb across the fence and jump right down into the middle of my fenced garden, and my dog knows not to go in there. Do you have any suggestions on how I can keep the squirrels from crossing the fence on the top?

Answer: Squirrels are natural acrobats and can easily overcome (and I'm convinced, even enjoy) our attempts to thwart them. You might be able to construct some sort of slippery baffle that leans outward at the top of the fence. (Of course your neighbors will have to agree with this since it will be on their side.) If you make it tall and steep, the squirrels will slide off if they try to climb it, and it'll be too tall for them to leap over. Alternatively, a strand or two of electrified fence a the top of the wooden fence might do the trick. You could also try laying chicken wire around plants the squirrels are damaging; they'll usually avoid walking on it.