The Q&A Archives: Bleeding Hearts

Question: I want to plant a bleeding heart on the northwest corner of my home, in Afton, WY. The corner is very protected and I was wondering if the plant would grow. I don't want to plant it and have it die. I also was wondering about tulips. I have seen some blue ones and purple ones and I was wondering if they would grow in this climate. I have only seen pink, red, and yellow here, but that could be because people have just never tried to plant them. Thanks for your help. Valerie Booth Afton,WY

Answer: Bleeding hearts like a well drained, shady location. I would think that as long as your site isn't too wet, especially in spring, then the bleeding heart should grow fine. We have one on the north side of our house in Vermont and it grows and flowers beautifully each year with little care and sun! There are purple and bluish-colored tulip varieties available that should grow fine in Wyoming. Try the following company for some nice varieties. Dutch Gardens P.O. Box 20 Adelphia, NJ 07710-0200 1-800-818-3861