The Q&A Archives: Propagating Sedum from Cuttings

Question: I planted a plant called sedum in my rock wall last October and they were small--they are now getting larger and very healthy. Can I cut some leaves and plant them in water until they root and plant them in potting soil? Thanks. Mike

Answer: You sure can and this is how it's done. Take some cuttings from your Sedum, making sure that there are at least four sets of leaves. Remove the bottom set (this is where roots will form. Stick the cuttings into soil (include a generous portion of vermiculite for good drainage) in a pot making sure that the node (where the discarded leaves were attached) is under the soil. Water and place in a shaded site. Water periodically. When roots have formed (you can gently dig one cutting up to examine), transplant. This method insures good root formation since available oxygen is low in water.