The Q&A Archives: Flowers for a Shady Spot

Question: I have a very shady spot in my back yard that I would like to fill with flowers. Is there anything that will grow there? Our dirt is composed of a lot of clay. We live in central Ohio. Also, do you have any tips on saving the salvia I planted a weekago? It's not dead but it doesn't look healthy either. One more thing, should I pinch off some of the blooms on my impatiens to help them grow bigger? Lea Ann Moore

Answer: Plants that tolerate deep shade and will still flower include, hosta, bluebells (Mertensia), Solomon's Seal, and Bleeding heart. These are all perennials. Annuals include impatiens and begonias. Consult with your local nursery for more ideas. Removing spent blossoms from impatiens is not necessary. They put on quite a show with little or no care from you!! It's difficult to prescribe a cure for you salvia without having more information about its condition. It could just be transplant shock and will perk up after the roots have a chance to set. Pamper it, but don't overwater and it should recover!