The Q&A Archives: Rock Garden Plants for a Slope

Question: I just purchased a house that has a sloped rocked area. I would like to remove the concrete that is between the rocks and put in plants. Is this a good idea? The concrete is only holding the dirt in place so that is does not run off in the rain. I was hoping to put various different colored/varieties of short (up to about 3") plants. Can you give me any ideas? Thank you. Rob Sharpe Seattle, WA

Answer: Great idea to start "rock " gardening. Try creeping thyme, creeping phlox, creeping jenny, hens and chicks, cotoneaster, dwarf baby's breath, rock cress, sea lavender, Silver Mound, wild ginger, wooly yarrow, dwarf iris, dwarf columbine, heather, blanket flower, forget-me-nots. Also any bulbs, such as daffodils, tulips, hyacinth will work well.