The Q&A Archives: Using Cyprus Mulch on Vegetables

Question: I like to use cyprus mulch for all my mulching. Is it advisable to use cyprus mulch in my vegetable garden? Ellis Scarbrough Marietta, GA

Answer: We don't know of any reason why you shouldn't use cyprus mulch on your vegetables. However, we also don't have much information on it! Before you try it, I would recommend that you contact the National Bark and Soil Producers Association and ask their advice. Their address is: 10210 Leatherleaf Ct., Manassas, Virginia, 22111. Telephone: 703-257-0111 There is always a concern using any kind of high carbon mulch on vegetables; that you will end up with a nitrogen deficiency. If you do use it be sure that you incorporate sufficient nitrogen in the form of well rotted compost or manure.