The Q&A Archives: Feed Evergreens In Winter?

Question: I lived in Alaska for over 20 years and have just this spring moved to Ocean Shores, WA. There were many plants I couldn't have in Alaska so I'm not used gardening in this area yet. I've been using Miracid on my camellias, ferns and other evergreen shrubs, and they are doing great. Should I continue to use it every two weeks during the winter too, or is there a time when I should cease or use it less often? Thanks very much for your help.

Answer: An acid-based food will make your camellias, ferns, rhododendrons and azaleas happy. These plants won't grow much during the winter months and therefore won't require regular feeding. Stop feeding now and resume in the spring (usually March or April in the Ocean Shores area) when new growth begins again.