The Q&A Archives: Flavorless Peaches

Question: I live in Sitka, Alaska. I have a fifteen year old volunteer peach tree in my unheated greenhouse. About five years ago it started bearing peaches. This year by May it had set on over three hundred fruit. Over a hundred fifty matured by early Sept. Many were the size of a softball and had beautiful color but very little flavor. The temp. in the greenhouse is uncontroled and can reach 100F a few times a year but will seldom go below 50F. The average for the summer is about 60F. We get very little sun but it is daylight for twelve to fifteen hours a day. Is there anything practical I can do to enhance the flavor?

Answer: To a large extent the flavor will be determined by the variety, but it is also true that overwatering will cause the fruit to swell with moisture and dilute the sugar content. You might experiment with watering a little on the light side and see if you can produce slightly smaller peaches with a more concentrated flavor.