The Q&A Archives: Controlling Fruit Tree Pests

Question: I have a small orchard with apple, peach and pear trees. I have a large sprayer. What are the main things I need to control and what are the safest sprays to use? Tom Blewitt Chesterland, OH

Answer: There are many fruit tree pests, and controlling them requires careful timing and diligence. The first thing to do is practice good sanitation--keep trees well-pruned to remove diseased wood and allow for good air circulation; pick up and destroy all fallen fruit and leaves at the end of the season. The type and time of emergence of pests depends on location and climate. You will want to monitor your trees to determine just what pests you have--both disease and insect pests. And you need to determine the population of the pests--that is, do you need to spray? I recommend you contact your local Extension agent. They will likely have a brochure describing the fruit pests in your area, and recommendations for control. Their number is 216/834-4656.