The Q&A Archives: Hummingbird Flowering Mix

Question: I planted last spring two bags of Miracle-Gro Wildflower Mix[Contains seed, fertilizer & mulch] They produced the most excellent results. Just beautiful. Anyway, can I leave the flower stems in the ground & expect flowers next year? The bag does list perennial & annual seeds. Anything that should be done to the flower bed?

Answer: The perennials in the mix will come back again next year and the annuals, if you leave the seedheads alone, will probably reseed the area. I just leave my wildflower bed alone from autumn through winter. If there are still some stems and stalks standing in the spring, I simply pull them out and toss them in the bed. You can do the same and you'll have an almost effortless wildflower bed again next season. Enjoy!