The Q&A Archives: Heirloom Tomato History

Question: I am interested in learning more about the history of heirloom tomatoes. I want to know more about who bred them, where, when, why, and any interesting anecdotes regarding them, such as the little story about the Mortgage Lifter cultivar. I have been unable to locate books, web pages or journal articles dealing with this subject matter in any more than passing remarks. Do you know of good sources of this information?

Answer: A book called "Blue Corn and Square Tomatoes" may interest you. Each chapter is on a different vegetable and contains a wide variety of historical and cultural facts and tidbits. It is published by Storey Communications, Pownal, VT, 1987, ISBN 0-88266-505-7. It also contains a bibliography with more sources that might be of interest. I hope this helps!