The Q&A Archives: Survive The Winter

Question: I bought and planted some snapdragons in August and they have not bloomed at all, and are still fairly small. I am wondering if there is any chance they will survive the winter, and what I could do to increase their chances?

Answer: Snapdragons are annuals in your gardening region so there's no chance of their wintering over. Snaps thrive in full sunshine, in moist but well-draining soils. If your plants are still very small, it means they got a late start and will probably not flower this year. Snapdragons should be planted by mid-May so they'll have time to bloom by mid-summer. After the flowers fade you can cut off the stem and the plant will develop one or two (smaller) flowering stems. Hope you have better success with snaps next summer!