The Q&A Archives: Tamarillo Fruit Tree

Question: I visited New Zealand last fall and picked fruit from a Tamarillo tree. It is a vivid coral/red color with an oval shape.It is fairly heavy for its size and is filled with pulp and seeds which are a darker magenta in some instances.
Delicious fresh or cooked.
I want to plant a Tamarillo tree here but am unable to locate a source to buy one. perhaps you can tell me how to get this hardy semi tropical tree here in the US.
Thank you.

Answer: Your tamarillo is Cyphomandra betacea, and grows only in the mild-winter coastal zones of California. (Your zone should be perfect!) If it's not available from a local nursery, contact Pacific Tree Farms (619) 422-2400. They carry rare and tropical plants and will probably have Cyphomandra in stock. Enjoy!