The Q&A Archives: Proper Maintenace For A Yucca Plant

Question: How do I properly maintain a yucca plant, i.e., number of times I water it, light, etc.?

Answer: I'm assuming your yucca is indoors. Yuccas are succulent plants. They like extremely well-drained soil (preferably a cactus-type mix) and sunny conditions. Water when the top inch of soil has dried out. Allow the water to drain out the bottom of the pot and if it sits on a saucer, discard any water. Yuccas shouldn't sit in overly moist soil as it can promote root rot. Fertilizer isn't usually needed, but if you want to, apply at half-strength during the plant's growing season (usually warm weather), not while it is dormant. Use a formula for cacti that has a lower first number (e.g., 1-6-7), which is the amount of nitrogen in the mix. Succulents don't need much nitrogen. Hope this info helps!