The Q&A Archives: Vegetables that Require Pollination

Question: I have snap beans, bush beans and several tomato plants as well as okra, cantaloupe, peppers, corn, pumpkin. My cucumbers and container cherry tomatoes are producing very well, but everything else has just reached the stage of flowering and starting to produce. Do any of these require that I pollinate them? Thanks for all your help. Melinda Bartoszewicz Tallahassee, FL

Answer: The other cucurbits (cucumbers, melons and pumpkin) and okra also require pollinators, and but the rest on your list depend on wind currents to deliver pollen among blossoms. It's very important to plant corn in a block of short rows rather than a couple of long rows, as this results in better pollination. Bees are most active in the morning, especially a sunny morning. If you truly have trouble with pollination, you can purchase Bee Scent from Gardens Alive (5100 Schenley Rd., Lawrenceville, IN 47025; ph# 812/537-8650). It attracts bees to the area sprayed, so you get them to go where they are most needed.