The Q&A Archives: How Much Basil In A Basil Bush

Question: My husband and I would like to grow Genovese Basil to sell at our local farmers markets. Could you please tell me what the approximate yield is per plant.

Also, do you think it's best to harvest the entire plant once, as was recommended to me, or to harvest a little of the plant several times to extend its growing season, as I've also been told?

Answer: I have a friend who is a market farmer who grows basil. He harvests about one-third of the plant at a time, and is able to continue the harvest over a period of several months. He just shears it off and it grows back quickly, so he harvests every 7 days. I'm not sure what the yield per plant is, but he sells about 150 pounds per week from a row that is 375 feet long. Good luck at the farmers' market!