The Q&A Archives: P H Charts

Question: Where can I find an internet site or place I can purchase PH charts for flowers trees & shrubs?

Answer: As you probably know, pH is the measure of a soil's acidity or alkalinity. A pH scale is logrithmic, from 0 to 14. Soils that measure 7 on the pH scale are considered neutral, anything below 7 is acidic and anything above 7 is alkaline. It's important to know a soil's pH when planting shrubs and trees that have a preference for either acidic or alkaline soils. Examples of plants with specific pH requirements include the acid-loving blueberries, azaleas, rhododendrons and camellias. Preference for alkaline soils include lilacs and cacti. A pH scale will be included on a pH test kit you purchase from a catalog or garden center. After testing your soil you'll check the test strip against the chart in the kit. Hope this answers your question!