The Q&A Archives: Halogen Lighting For Greenhouse

Question: Can I use a shop-type halogen light (600)watt bulbs for grow lights instead of flourescent lights & bulbs for starting my seeds? If so are the distances from the plants the same as flourescent because I imagine they give off more heat.

Answer: You can use halogen in place of fluorescent lamps for growing seedlings. They do give off more heat and should be placed from 1'-4' away from the plants. You may have to experiment a bit with your lamp to find the correct distance. Start a 4' above the plants. If the seedlings begin to get leggy it means they're reaching for the light. Lower the lamp and note the differences in growth. Here's a website with additional information on halogen bulbs and plants:

« Click to go to the homepage

» Ask a question of your own

Q&A Library Searching Tips

  • When singular and plural spellings differ, as in peony and peonies, try both.
  • Search terms are not case sensitive.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Shamrock Zinfandel"