The Q&A Archives: Why Marigolds Turned Reddish-Purple

Question: I read the question about fungal flower bud blight in marigolds, but it sounds a bit different. My marigolds ( Sugar

Answer: I have seen this condition in marigolds before, as well as other plants. I think you're right about the cause - too much sun too quickly. Marigolds love sun, and lots of it, but if they aren't used to intense light, it takes some time to adjust. Nexttime, ease them from partial sun to full sun. Treat your marigolds with extra care, making sure they have adequate water and a mild organic fertilizer, such as dilute liquid kelp or seaweed. Liquid kelp misted on the leaves strengthens transplants and helps them adjust smoothly to their new environment. If you can't find it locally, try Gardener's Supply Co. (; or ph# 800-863-1700). Glad to hear that things are going well otherwise