The Q&A Archives: Amaryllis Care

Question: When should I stop watering my amaryllis for where I live? Then what should I do with them? What if I want to have Christmas blooms?

Answer: Amaryllis can be kept alive and be brought back to
blossom the following year but this takes a little work. Once the flowers fade, trim away the bloom stalk and allow the foliage to grow. Bright, indirect light is best. Keep the soil slightly moist and fertilize monthly with a liquid fertilizer so the plant grows vigorously. In late summer or early fall, the leaves should begin to turn yellow. The yellowing indicates the amaryllis needs a rest. If they do not begin to yellow on their own, simply withhold water beginning in September and force the plant into dormancy. Once the leaves wither, cut the leaves back to the neck of the bulb and store it, pot and all in a cool (55F), dark place such as a garage or basement for about eight to ten weeks without watering. Then finally, water lightly and place it in a bright location. The bulbs should resprout and bloom again. Repot every 3-4 years in the spring after blooming. Enjoy!