The Q&A Archives: Care Tips for Jasmine Sambac

Question: I just bought a Jasmine (sambac) plant in a container for indoor growing. I would like to know how to prune it and how to increase the flowers. Also what I need to do after the flowers are spent. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Mai Quincy, MA

Jasmine is a great companion in the home, especially J. sambac, which is most tolerant of household temperatures in winter. The following care information, was excerpted from The Hyponex Handbook of Houseplants: "If you follow the culture outlined below and never let jasmine dry out, it will grow bushier, better and more flowery year after year." Light: Full sun in east, west or south window in winter; less is acceptable during the summer. Small jasmines grow well in fluorescent light. Temperature: ideal is 70-72 degrees in daytime, with a drop to 62-65 degrees at night. Avoid hot, dry, stale air. Potting soil: when you repot the plant, ask your garden center or greenhouse for African violet potting soil. Water: keep the soil evenly moist.Mist often. Extremes of moisture will cause leaf and bud drop. Feeding: Feed blooming plants all year; follow instructions on fertilizer label. If you plan to have your jasmine in a hanging basket, pinch back the top stems to encourage side shoots, and continue to do so as it grows.