The Q&A Archives: Hydrangeas Not Blooming

Question: What makes hydrangeas grow well and bloom, this year I had no blooms, the plant seems to be ok, it got green, but in the five or 6 years I've has it, it is no bigger then the size of a 5 gallon bucket bottom. In past years I've gotta one or maybe two blooms that is all. Our soil is a bit acid, we have many azaleas, rododengrons and pines.

Answer: These plants (I am thinking of the big leafed or macrophylla type here) generally prefer a soil that is evenly moist yet well drained, humusy and rich. They need a location in partial sun or sun and sheltered from wind, especially winter winds. The most common reasons for lack of blooms are pruning at the wrong time (spring) and winterkill. Winterfill is especially likely in a awindy exposed location. These will result in loss of blooming wood because the plants bloom on wood formed the year before. These plants are normally larger than you described, but there are also a few varieties on the market that stay quite small so you might have one of those. If not, it is possible that your plant has failed to root out into the surrounding soil. If you suspect this is the case, you might carefully dig it up, check for encircling roots or similar problems, and then replant accordingly.