The Q&A Archives: Mushrooms In Lawn

Question: I have mushrooms growing in a section of my lawn. Where did they come from and how can I get rid of them?

Answer: Mushrooms can be a result of something decomposing underground. Dead tree roots, even from a healthy tree, or some building debris that was buried on site. Mushrooms might also be a result of poor nutrition and poor drainage in your lawn. Rake to remove the mushrooms, then put your lawn on a regular maintenance schedule. You may need to aerate the lawn to remove decomposing thatch and help with the compaction problem. Fertilize four times a year with a 3-1-2 ratio of nitrogen, phosphorous and potassium, applying one pound of actual nitrogen per 1,000 square feet of lawn per year. Be sure to water regularly so the lawn will grow thick enough to crowd out (or hide) the mushrooms.