The Q&A Archives: Choosing Daylilies

Question: I am trying to decide which type of daylily to plant as a border along a picket fence in our yard. The bed gets sun for most of the day. I am having a hard time deciding between the 'Stella de Oro' and 'Happy Returns'. From what I have researched so far, there does not seem to be much of a difference between them. Can you please explain some of the differences to aid in my decision making?

Answer: You are correct in that the differences are not great. They are both excellent bloomers, with similar growing requirements. 'Stella de Oro' is a deeper gold shade and blooms from mid-June through fall if you remove spent blooms. 'Happy Returns' is actually an offspring of Stella and 'Suzie Wong.' Like Stella, it blooms for a long period, but its flower color is a bit softer yellow, like the 'Suzie Wong.' I think you will be happy with either one of these attractive daylilies.