The Q&A Archives: Preserving Squashes

Question: This question may be out of your realm of expertise, but I noticed you have answered questions about drying gourds. We had the idea that some pretty interesting looking planters could be made out of some of the funkier-looking squashes, so we took two and scooped them out. So far, so good--small plastic pots will fit nicely inside. But how to preserve them? We had thought to dry the shells in our basement, which is warm and pretty airy, and then shellack them. What do you think? Thanks for any help you can give. I'll let you know what happens, if you want.

Answer: Your idea of air drying the shells and then giving them a coat of varnish is a good one. Gourds preserved this way usually look nice for 2-3 years. Sunshine will fade the colors somewhat but the gourds will remain functional. Enjoy!