The Q&A Archives: Overseeding Bermuda Lawns in the Low Desert

Question: I live in Arizona the temperatures as of Sept 30
are still in the 100's (yuck). When can I overseed, I have
bermuda in my front and fescue in the back, and when is
it okay to plant fall plants?

Answer: Overseeding with winter rye is usually done from mid-October to mid-November in the low desert. You didn't mention what type of plants, but October is an excellent month for installing landscape plants (trees, shrubs, groundcovers, vines) of all sorts.

If you are interested in vegetables and flowers, there are two distinct growing seasons in the low desert with different annuals thriving in each season. There's a cool season from approximately the end of September through April. Annuals can be installed from late September to February. Some gardeners prefer to wait until October, as cooler temperatures also help kill off whitefly populations which can quickly decimate plants.The warm season starts with planting in mid to late February. Some plants will make it through the summer's heat; others will end their growth when the heat arrives. A good reference book that contains planting calendars for the low desert is called "Desert Gardening for Beginners: How to Grow Vegetables, Flowers and Herbs in an Arid Climate." ISBN 0-9651987-2-3. Good luck!