The Q&A Archives: Name Of Short Zinnias(12-18 Inches) With Large Flowers-multicolored

Question: Each year I try planting large flowered shorter zinnias. I nip them faithfully to encourage branching, but they still grow to 4 or 5 feet tall! A few years ago, I saw short, large flowered zinnias in patio containers, but were unable to find the name.They were of various colors.I would greatly appreciate your help.

Answer: Ther are many varieties of zinnia that would be smaller and come in numerous colors. A recent Burpee catalog included the following: The Profusion series grows in the 12 to 18 inch range with 2 to 3 inch blooms. The Splendor Hybrid series has 5 inch blooms on 22 inch plants, Candy Cane mix runs 17 inches with 4 inch flowers, the Lollipop series is only 10 inches tall and has 2 1/2 inch flowers. The Pinwheel series grows 12 inches tall and has 3 1/2 inch single flowers. Perhaps some of these will fit the bill.