The Q&A Archives: Worms On Lettuce

Question: I have beautiful lettuce growing but every day I find a couple of green worms about an inch long eating away. Also, there are little black droppings all over the leaves. How do I handle the worms and are the droppings from the worms? Can I still eat the lettuce after cleaning it?

Answer: The lettuce is perfectly edible, just be sure to rinse it well before consuming it. Worms can be a problem on leafy vegetables because they hide so well in the crevices. Try hosing them off with plain water, or picking them off with your fingers. Or, you can resort to using the botanical insecticide called Bt. (Bacillus thuringiensis). This is a bacterium that acts as a stomach poison and kills caterpillars. Apply according to label directions.