The Q&A Archives: Germination Time for Corn

Question: Ten days ago I planted my sweet corn and it still hasn't come up. I planted about 1-11/2 inches deep and treated for cut worms before covering the seed. I'm wondering if I should be patient for it to come up and allow the weather to warm up or replant. Thanks for your help! Richard Hopper Des Moines, IA

Answer: Corn likes warm temperatures for germination, and this spring's cooler than normal temperatures could be slowing things down. Unfortunately, if corn stays in the ground too long without germinating, it can rot. I would give it a bit more time, but be prepared to replant. Your local County Extension agent could advise you about corn germination rates in your specific area. The office is located at 900 Osborn Street in Burlington, 52601, (319) 754-7556.