The Q&A Archives: Orange Mint Inside

Question: I have an orange mint plant that is in a hanging basket. If I bring it indoors for the winter how much sun will it need? The sunniest window is in my bedroom, but the smell makes me sneeze at night. If I leave it outside, will it die?

Answer: Most mint varieties should be winter hardy in your area if planted in the ground. The ground helps to insulate the roots from the cold, so you might plant it in the ground or sink the container into the ground for the winter. Alternatively you could try setting the hanging basket in a sheltered location out of the wind and mulching around it heavily.

If you bring the plant indoors, it will need as much light as possible. You might consider growing it under lights in a secluded room if you are allergic to it.