The Q&A Archives: Why Lily Is Growing Downward

Question: I don't know much about lilies, but I'd say the one in question is closest to the calla lily family. It is quite healthy, but the new growth, while also healthy, isn't growing upward like the established stalks, but curving toward the ground. Is this normal or do you have a suggestion? Thank you. Julie Harris Simi Valley, CA

Answer: It's hard to say what may be causing this abnormality without more information about the environment, age of the plant, and the species, but if this is a calla lily, it prefers a rich, humusy soil and ample moisture. If you've had dry weather, this could cause stunting of new growth, as could insect or disease attack. I wish I could be more specific! If you can find out exactly what the plant is, I can give it another try. It's also helpful to get a close look at the plant to see if it has sustained some kind of damage from insect attack.