The Q&A Archives: Camellia Source

Question: I am looking to buy a camellia plant for someone who lives on Bainbridge Isl in WA State. Is there a type that would do better in NW WA and if so do you sell it? I realize this plant is not really fit for the Ppacific Northwest but I unfortuatlly killed one and and need to replace it if possible. please get back to me as soon as possible.
Thank you

Answer: Cold hardy Camellias are extremely popular here in the Pacific Northwest and, depending upon what color you want the flowers to be, you have the following choices:
Camellia sasanqua 'Apple Blossom' is white with a flush of pink, 'Cleopatra' has rose pink flowers, 'Yuletide' has Christmas-red flowers and 'Rainbow' produces large white flowers with a band of red on each petal. You can purchase the plants through Greer Gardens, 1280 Goodpasture Island Rd., Eugene OR 97401-1794. Phone (800) 548-0111 and they'll probably ship your order immediately. Hope this information helps keep you out of the doghouse!