The Q&A Archives: Care Tips for Geranium Transplants

Question: I have just planted several varieties of geraniums in window boxes with a northern exposure and over a half a day of direct sun. The geraniums plants I bought are a little worse for wear and I would like to know how to get them looking healthy and fullof blooms in the shortest time possible. I have already added a little 5-10-5 fertilizer and water daily. Mary Lancaster, PA

Answer: Plants suffer from transplant shock when they are transplanted, repotted, etc. Your geraniums sound like they need a little time to get acclimated. If they were grown in a warm greenhouse, they may also need to get used to the strong sun and more extreme temperatures than they were used to. Water them enough to keep the soil evenly moist but not saturated. Hold off on fertilizing again until they pick up a little. For now, all you can do is be patient while the roots settle in. In a week or two they will probably begin to liven up.