The Q&A Archives: Hybrid Impatiens

Question: How far apart should I grow each seed of Hybrid Impatiens when I am growing them inside under artificial light?

Answer: When you first plant the seeds, they can be placed close together, maybe a half an inch apart. This will allow you to provide the correct temperature for germination by placing the container in a warm location. Once the seeds germinate and the seedlings develop a few true leaves, then you will transplant them into individual containers. At first, very small pots will be sufficient. Eventually the plants will be large enough to need about a four to six inch pot each or can be planted several to a hanging basket sized pot. Some of the hybrids are very compact and grow to about eight inches; others are somewhat larger, in the twelve inch range.