The Q&A Archives: Storing Bulbs, Tubers, And Corms.

Question: I've read the best temperature to store tubers inside in the winter is 40-45 degrees. My basement stays about 60 degrees all winter. Is this too warm for them? Should I put them in the shed and try to insulate them?

Answer: It depends to some extent what you are trying to store; the idea of keeping them in the cellar came about from the old days when houses were not as well heated as they are now. Although sixty degrees is a bit too warm, forty is pushing the cold tolerance limit at the other end especially for canna roots. Sometimes a house will have a closet in a less heated spare room or other similar location that is in the requisite temperature range -- the floor is usually the coolest spot. Maybe you can experiment using a thermometer and see what works best at your house.