The Q&A Archives: Can You Recommend A Groundcover?

Question: I just bought a house that has a large hill behind it. The hill is steep, so I wanted to plant a low maintenance ground cover on it (something to deter weeds as well). The hill is gets a lot of sun during the summer months and has little topsoil. I want an evergreen groundcover. I was thinking about putting periwinkle on it. Will this work or is there something better that you can recommend? Thanks!

Answer: Periwinkle (vinca minor) is a good choice for the site. Other considerations include the native kinnikinnick (arctostaphylos uva-ursi), carpet bugle (ajuga) or St. John's Wort (hypericum). All will do well in poor soils and full sunshine. After planting be sure to supply water on a regular basis until the plants become established. Once they're growing well they can get along with natural rainfall. Good luck with your project!