The Q&A Archives: Saucer Magnolia

Question: Can you provide some information (fertilizing, watering, etc.) on how to care for a new Saucer Magnolia tree that I had planted on my front lawn.

Answer: Any newly planted tree should be watered as needed to keep the soil evenly moist but not soggy during the growing season for an entire year. In years two and three, the tree will need watering during dry spells. In fall and spring, you may not need to water if it rains frequently, but you should use your finger to check the soil and make sure. This is true any time the ground is not frozen. Apply several inches of mulch over the root zone but keep it away from touching the trunk. Based on soil tests, your tree may need to be fertilized in early and late spring. Your county extension (745-3445) can help you with the tests and interpreting the results.