The Q&A Archives: Vegetable Growning in Southern California

Question: I live in La Jolla, California where the weather is mild. I have started my first vegetable garden this year. Can you tell me what vegetables I can grow all winter long? Also, will any of my annual veggies be able to over-winter and produce again nextsummer? Thanks for any tips on Southern California growing. Darlene La Jolla, CA

Answer: Southern California is, indeed, blessed with a special climate. In the fall and into winter, you can sow seeds of plenty of vegetables.That includes just about all leaf and root vegetables and the flowering vegetables (cauliflower, broccoli) as well aspeas (that includes favabeans, which are more a pea than a bean). Stay away from most fruiting vegetables (tomatos, corn, etc.) which are summer heat lovers. And yes, many of your annual vegetables will survive most of your winters, including cherry tomatoes, peppers, and sometimes eggplant.