The Q&A Archives: "Soundproofing the Yard with Plants

Question: How do I "soundproof" my back yard? I have neighbors with an outside sound system that is intrusive. I would appreciate a way to deaden much of the noise and enhance my garden at the same time. Please help me keep my sanity. Barb Moncuse York,PA

Answer: Perhaps the best thing you can do is plant a dense hedgerow between you and your noisy neighbor. You might even want to construct a tall fence, then plant some evergreen shrubs just inside it. Then perhaps even some perennials in front of that. The more plants, the more of a barrier between you and the sound. And it would make a pretty border for your yard. Do you have any noise ordinances where you live? It doesn't seem fair to have to put up with excessive noise, especially if it's late at night.