The Q&A Archives: Zoysia Grass Seeds

Question: I am interested in planting Zoysia grass in my lawn. I know I can buy plugs, but can a homeowner buy Zoysia grass seed for sowing, instead of using the plugging method?

Answer: Yes, there is an improved variety of zoysia grass, 'Zenith', that you can grow from seed. It still takes quite a while to germinate, but less time than other varieties. Slow germination is one of the main reasons why you see zoysia sold as plugs -- the plugs spread quickly, but historically, seed germination rates have been slow and spotty. 'Zenith' costs about $25 per pound (covers 250 - 1000 square feet), so you'll want to weigh the pros and cons of plugs vs. sowing seed...plugs may win out in the long run. For more information about 'Zenith', visit