The Q&A Archives: Landscaping Ideas for Las Vegas, NV

Question: We are currently doing the landscaping (from scratch!) for our new home in Las Vegas. I need a suggestion for a beautiful flowering hedge for a 30ft X 3ft retaining planter that we have built along our backyard wall. The planter will get over six hours of full sun all day. I'd like to plant all the same thing for impact -- ideally with large, bright flowers (and a long bloom season), and a pretty evergreen leaf that won't look like dead sticks during the off season. I'd love to find something that would mature to be abundant, mounding and colorful. If the vines trailed over the sides, and/or climbed a trellis, that would be a plus. I was considering your dark red zonal geraniums? Any other suggestions? Also, please advise re how many plants I'll need to start. Help!! Thanks much. Joanee Apel Las Vegas, NV

Answer: The 'Big Red' geranium would certainly work, but would require frequent watering. If all the seeds in the packet germinate and mature you'd probably need two packets. If you want a dramatic show year round, I suggest plants that are better adaptedto the hot, dry climate. There is a huge pallette of plants to choose from. For instance, yucca makes a dramatic display year round, and many species have colorful, fragrant blooms. I suggest perusing the selection at local nurseries, or the beautifulcatalog from Plants of the Southwest (Agua Fria, Rt. 6 Box 11A, Santa Fe, NM 87505; ph# 800-788-7333). It's full of inspiration!