The Q&A Archives: Wedding Favor Flowers

Question: Hello! I am getting married in June and as a wedding favor I am buying little 3'' flower pots and hand painting them. Inside, I plan on placing a little bag of dirt and seeds for my guests to plant and then wrapping everything up really pretty. Trouble is, I don't know much about gardening and I'm not sure what type of seeds I can plant in such a small container, or how many seeds I should offer with each pot. Also, I am hoping to buy the seeds now and get the favors done for June, or is this too early to get it done? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Answer: Unfortunately, most houseplants seem to be started from cuttings or divisions rather than seeds, but here are a few plants that would grow indoors at least initially: basil, chives, parsley, leaf lettuce, and coleus. Unfortunately, I can't think of any flowers to start from seed that would do well indoors in a three inch pot. The number of seeds to include would depend to some extent on the grower's thumb color (green or brown), but about a dozen of each kind should be about right. This would result in a little clump of chives or parsley, a snippable bunch of lettuce, and several basils or coleus.